We decided to draw your attention to the tradition of giving engagement gifts and to show you how it changed and evolved in the course of time.
Traditional Engagement Gifts
In the past, only close family members and the closest of friends gave engagement gifts to the couple, while other well-wishers waited to send presents for the actual wedding.
The first engagement party of the couple was a family affair and an opportunity for the parents to bestow a treasured family heirloom on their soon-to-be-married child or the child’s intended partner. The items usually had little financial value and emphasis was laid on sentiment and, possibly, tradition. There could even be an implied or direct request regarding the item, for example to wear it on your wedding day. Usually it was entirely up to the couple whether or not to honor the request.
Modern Engagement Gifts
Nowadays, engagement gifts imply something very different. The gift giver doesn’t have to be a relative and the gift usually is not an heirloom, even though it could have sentimental value.Moreover, an engagement gift can be given by anyone, anytime, and be nearly anything, but it is not required.
However, if you do decide to give an engagement gift, you should keep in mind the couple’s likes, dislikes, and present status in life. For example, a couple that met in their early 30s may have already accumulated all the kitchen appliances they could ever want, so you should go for something else. You can also ask a well-intentioned relative of the couple what the couple might need or want. It would be nice to at least try to guess what they might need—and if possible to provide a return receipt.
All in all, you can see that engagement parties and traditions have never been about expensive gifts, but rather for bringing happiness and good wishes for the engaged couple. Check out our Gift section to find out all about Wedding Gifts or check out the exclusive Engagement Gift section.
Adult 3D Handprint Hands Cast Life Casting Kit, Pewter - Wedding Anniversary Valentines Engagement Pre-Bereavement Family Gift - by BabyRice
- Unique Gift - Create gorgeous 3D sculptures of your own hands in the comfort of your home
- Kit will make 2 adults hands, possibly more (depending on the size of hands!) and you can hold hands for your cast making
- Once painted, your finished casts will look simply stunning! Amazing detail is captured and replicated
- This kit is a great and unique gift for any occasion - weddings, anniversary, civil ceremonies, engagements, grandparents, brother & sisters, parent and child etc
- Kit comes with 2kg of BabyRice Alginate and 2kg of Stone Casting Plaster
Personalised Cheese Board or Chopping Board - Personalised Wedding Gift - Personalised Housewarming gift for couples or families - SLATE OR WOOD Available
|Brand||Dust and Things|
|Item Dimensions||Height: 0.8; Length: 30; Width: 20|
|Product Group||Guild Product|
|Product Type Name||GUILD_HOME|
|Title||Personalised Cheese Board or Chopping Board - Personalised Wedding Gift - Personalised Housewarming gift for couples or families - SLATE OR WOOD Available|
LIVIVO ® Pair of 2 Mr Right and Mrs Always Right Wine Glasses – Stylish and Attractive Large 400ml Stem Wine Glass Gift Set Box – Perfect Gift for Weddings, Anniversary, Engagements and Couples
- Stylish and Attractive Set of 2 Mr and Mrs Wine Glasses with Gift Box
- Beautiful Text Displaying "Mr Right" on One and "Mrs Always Right" on the Other
- The Perfect Wedding Gift for Newlyweds or Even Great Anniversary Gifts for Parents!
- DIMENSIONS (each glass) - L10cm x W10cm x H21cm / L4" x W4" x H8" (approx.)
- Glass Capacity (each) - 400ml
Panasonic SD-ZB2502BXC Stainless Steel Bread Maker
5 used from £ 121.25
- 27 Bake and Dough Modes
- Raisin/Nut Dispenser - mixes additional ingredients in at just the right time to help ensure they are evenly distributed throughout the loaf
- Yeast Dispenser - unique to the Panasonic Breadmaker, dropping yeast automatically at just the right time to ensure your bread rises as it should for that fluffy or dense loaf
- Loaf Size & Darkness Options - Making the perfect bread couldn't be simpler, with the options of choosing the size of your loaf you would like. It is even possible to determine how light or dark you prefer your loaf by selecting the desired browning level
- Diamond-Fluro-Coated Bread Pan - No more sticky pans and scratchproof!
Tower T11001 Digital Bread Maker with Gluten Free Setting, 1000 g Capacity
4 used from £ 55.19
- Bake a delicious homemade loaf in less than an hour with 650 W
- 13 digital programs including a gluten free setting
- 13 hour programmable timer with LCD display and automatic 1 hour keep warm function
- Easy clean non-stick pan and kneading blade
- Stainless steel exterior with viewing window; 3 years guarantee
Morphy Richards 48280 Fastbake Breadmaker - White
1 used from £ 46.92
- Makes a 1 lb, 1.5 lb and 2 lb loaf
- Fastbake setting - bakes a 2 lb loaf in under 1 hour
- Choice of 12 settings and 13 hour programmable timer
- Light, medium, dark crust setting and Dough setting
- Also makes cakes and jam, Cooltouch sides